The Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 E OSS (Sony part# SEL1855 ) is a standard mid-range zoom lens for Sony α (or NEX) E-Mount mirrorless digital cameras with APS-C sized sensors. It’s a practical general purpose optic perfect for high quality images of travel, special event, and everyday photography. This lens provides fields of view ranging from moderately wide-angle at 18mm all the way to the start of the portrait focal length range at 55mm. The versatile zoom range is well suited for photographing just about anything including landscapes, buildings, gatherings of people, children, pets, and environmental portraits. The 18-55mm also pairs well with a separate dedicated telephoto zoom like the Sony E 55-210mm when you’re looking for more reach.
The Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 E OSS uses a well executed optical arrangement that keeps the lens compact while producing excellent images. More than a third of the optical formulation consists of special Aspherical elements which help control distortion and produce edge to edge sharpness. To retain as much clarity as possible the lens also incorporates Sony’s OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilization system which helps reduce loss of sharpness caused by camera movement. The lens uses a responsive precise autofocus system designed for both photography and videography.
The 18-55mm is carry anywhere design that exemplifies the promise of mirrorless cameras; it produces superb results without the bulk of a larger rig. Also available in silver.
- General purpose zoom for Sony E-Mount cameras with APS-C size sensors
- Versatile wide to portrait zoom range
- 27-82.5mm 35mm equivalent
- Great contrast, color, and sharpness
- 4 Aspherical elements
- OSS (Optical Steady Shot) image stabilization
- Direct Drive Super Sonic Motor for fast focus
- Efficient internal focus design for responsive autofocus
- Focuses to 0.25m (0.82ft)
- Light & compact, carry anywhere, perfect for travel
- Attractive metal cladding